The Emperor's New Groove is the 40th Disney animated feature, and the last in the canon during the 2nd generation of Walt Disney Home Video. It was released in theaters on December 15, 2000, then as announced on February 21, 2001, on VHS and DVD on May 1, 2001.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
If you liked Aladdin and The Little Mermais, you'll love Disney's The Emperor's New Groove, where outrageous comedy rules! Audiences and critics alike raved about this hilarious animated adventure: Ebert & Roeper And The Movies gave it "Two Thumbs Up."
Faster than you can say "boom, baby," arrogant Emperor Kuzco (voiced by David Spade) is turned into a llama by his devious advisor, Yzma (Eartha Kitt), and her hunky henchman, Kronk (Patrick Warburton), who want to rid the kingdom of this beast of burden. Now the ruler who once had it all must form an unlikely alliance with a pleasant peasant named Pacha (John Goodman). Together, Kuzco and Pacha must overcome their differences as they embark on a hilarious, "groovy" adventure that will have you howling with laughter.
There's something for everyone in this "hip, funny movie" (Gannett News Service) with its dynamo cast, distinctive style and great music -- featuring the Academy Award-nominated song, "My Funny Friend and Me" -- all fully captured in state of the art quality created directly from the digital source, which ensures the best possible sound and picture.
VHS Supplements[edit | edit source]
|1||Blue warning screens||August 15, 2000|
|2||Walt Disney Home Video logo||June 19, 1992|
|3||Trailer for Atlantis: The Lost Empire||January 23, 2001|
|4||Trailer for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition||Feburary 27, 2001|
|5||Trailer for The Hunchback of Notre Dame II||April 3, 2001|
|6||Video preview for Recess: School's Out||May 1, 2001|
|7||Feature Presentation||December 14, 1999|
|8||Full Screen Format Disclaimer||July 11, 2000|
|9||THX logo||August 29, 1995|
|10||The Emperor's New Groove||December 15, 2000|
|11||Music Video: "My Funny Friend in Me"||May 1, 2001|
|12||Promo for The Emperor's New Groove soundtrack||May 1, 2001|
|13||Video preview for 102 Dalmatians||May 1, 2001|
DVD[edit | edit source]
- Never-Before-Seen, Deleted Scene
- 3 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes
- Sting's Making The Music Video Featuring The Song "My Funny Friend And Me" As Featured On The Emperor's New Groove Soundtrack
- Rascal Flatts Music Video Featuring The Song "Walk The Llama Llama" As Featured On The Emperor's New Groove Soundtrack. Learn How To Do The "Walk The Llama Llama" Dance!
- Audio Commentary With The Filmmakers
- DVD-ROM Features
- Action-Adventure Set-Top Game - Test Your Skill At Three Levels! Featuring The Actual Voice Talents Of Yzma And Kronk!
Only in the Collector's Edition DVD:
- The Animation Groove - A Fast-Paced Behind-The-Scenes Tour Of How A Modern Disney Animated Film Is Made! You'll Go Where No Outsider Has Ever Ventures Beyond The Walls Of Disney's Animation Department
- The Development Process
- Story And Editorial
- Layouts And Backgrounds
- The Animation Process
- Putting It All Together
- Music And Sound - Mixing Demonstration - Make Your Own Tracks!
In Other Countries[edit | edit source]
|Country of origin||Release date|
|South Korea||July 23, 2001|
|UK||November 5, 2001|
|Japan||December 19, 2001|
Television broadcasts[edit | edit source]
The Emperor's New Groove premiered on the ABC television network on October 14, 2001, and on Disney Channel on December 20, 2002. After that, the movie aired three more times on ABC -- on March 16, 2003, April 3, 2004, and July 9, 2005. It also aired on Disney Channel from September 21, 2003 to September 15, 2005.
Advertised on: [edit | edit source]
Theatrical release [edit | edit source]
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins (VHS/DVD) (August 8, 2000)
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (VHS/DVD) (September 19, 2000)
- A Saintly Switch (2000-2001 VHS) (September 19, 2000)
- Model Behavior (2000-2001 VHS) (September 19, 2000)
- James and the Giant Peach (Special Edition) (October 3, 2000)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (Special Edition) (October 3, 2000)
- Shanghai Noon (2000 VHS/DVD) (October 10, 2000)
- Toy Story 2 (2000 VHS) (October 17, 2000)
- Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century (2000 VHS) (October 17, 2000)
- Angels in the Infield (2000 VHS) (October 17, 2000)